The main expected result are the following:
- Report combustion emissions and energy consumption of the main furnaces present in the European market
- mass and thermal balance of the furnace focused on the voices connected to waste gases and preheated air.
- fluid dynamic model able to simulate the behaviour of the furnace in different operating conditions exploring the WG and air flow modifications and their impact on combustion and heat exchange
- Validated Combustion Optimization System trialed on 2 two different existing furnaces
- Nox reduction of 30-50 % and energy savings of 5-6 % in trial with small regenerator, 1-2 % in trial with medium-big regenerator
Port exhausted gas recycling system:
- Validated Port Exhausted Gas Recycling System trialed in a new furnace
- Nox reduction of 25-30 % and energy savings of 3 % with respect to newest ‘staging’ technology proposed in the BAT.
- Validated automatic tool of temperature measurements and distribution based on thermography and Validated automatic tool of CO2 and CO flame distribution. Both will improve design and performance of modern glass furnaces and allow continuous monitoring of the process useful for system control or diagnostic analysis.
- Proven efficacy of infrared thermography applied to the glass furnace system as innovate approach for temperature monitoring and combustion diagnostic. The device will be installed in the combustion chamber. The proposed approach will be tuned to measure the temperature distribution on the liquid glass in order to have a continuous process monitoring.
- lncreased awareness and knowledge amongst stakeholders and target groups on the possibility to reduce emission of Nox and consumption of energy by two different innovative systems.
Direct environmental results achieved
During operation of the pilot plants with pull rate of about 200 ton/day, 12 months at least for the furnace with new port design and 18 months for the two furnaces with combustion optimization, progressively achieving targets during trials, the following environmental results are expected to be achieved:
- total reduction of Nox emissions of 178 Ton
- total reduction of energy consumption of 1021 Tep
- total reduction of CO2 emissions of 2117 Ton.